Thursday, August 16, 2012

Ansleigh Jane has arrived!

Ansleigh Jane
August 8th, 2012
7:42 p.m.
7 lbs. 9 oz. - 20 3/4 in

I started having contractions on Tuesday, August 7th. I'd be having random contractions a few days prior to then, but nothing consistent and then they'd fizzle out after a while. Tuesday they woke me up at 4:30 a.m. and I nearly woke up my hubby but laid there and timed them for about 2 1/2 hrs. I kept telling myself, let's get to 5 and see.. let's get to 5:30 and see.. this went on til 7 and then they fizzled out. I had them on and off all day long but they stayed with the same consistency.. 4-6 minutes apart, last for an hour or so, then stop for a while.

I had an appointment with my midwife the following day, but wasn't entirely sure I was going to make it to it, so I went ahead and took my shower and got my bags packed and ready to go just in case baby girl decided to make her arrival in the middle of the night.

Thankfully she waited til my appointment. I got there and was checked and was told I was 3 cm. I was only a 1/2 cm the following week and my midwife had predicted we'd have baby by the weekend. So my midwife sent me straight to the hospital "to be monitored." Well we get there and they said "are you Elizabeth?" - "yeap that's me" - "alright we'll get you in a room, they just called and said you're in labor." - "oh.. okay" I SO didn't feel like I was in any kind of labor at this point, I felt just fine, so it was a bit shocking to be told that I am lol!

We got there about 11 a.m. I laid hooked to the monitors for a while.. having small contractions that didn't even hurt at all.. just crampy. We walked around the halls for a while, looking at all the babies that we're being born. There were 4 born all on that day, including Ansleigh. The walking helped the contractions to get much stronger and closer together. Chris left to go get some lunch (and I pouted because I wasn't allowed to eat lol) because we thought we'd be there for a while longer since my water hadn't broke or anything. Well no sooner than he walks out, the doctor came in and said he was going to break my water. EEK! I was really worried this was going to hurt.. my water broke on it's own with my son and it just felt like I peed on myself.. very strange feeling! Thankfully it didn't hurt any, was just a bit uncomfortable. After that, the contractions went crazy! MUCH stronger! I called hubby and my mom and said they may want to hurry up and come! With my son, 3 hrs. after my water broke he made his arrival, so we were estimating baby girl would be here within 2 or 3 hrs. tops!

This is where it started getting much harder and me thinking to myself that maybe I should have opted for the epi after all. I was having MAJOR back labor! Chris was having to rub my lower back HARD every single contraction or I was absolutely miserable! Nothing would help but that. Needless to say, I felt like I had two big bruises on my back the next morning lol! But I stayed strong.. breathed through the contractions. I was definitely more vocal with this little girl than my son.. but like I said, the back labor was SO bad.. oh SO bad!

Contractions were everywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes apart lasting anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute and a half long! The 2 minute breaks were the best feeling in the world! They gave me a second to breath and relax and get ready for the next wave.

Around (I think) 2:30-3 p.m. I told my nurse that I HAD to have food.. I hadn't ate anything since 9:30 that morning and I'm extremely hypoglocemic. It was getting to the point that I was about to pass out with every contraction.. I needed sugar and fast! My nurse asked what would help and I told her anything with sugar. She asked if a my midwife said it was okay if a popsicle would help? I told her most definitely! So she came back a few minutes later with a red popsicle and a cup of jello and let me tell you, popsicles never tasted SO good! I felt much better after that and the jello.. it gave me the energy I needed for the next few hrs.

I got up at one point because I HAD to pee something awful.. well I stood up and I swore I had peed all over the place.. but as it kept going and going and going.. and going, I realized that I had MORE water coming out. It was insane! I flooded everywhere lol! With Jonah I barely had any fluid come out.. so this was SO weird! Weirdest feeling ever! Then I told Chris I still needed to pee.. him and mom were like "Are you sure you had to pee?!" lol.. but yes, I did.

Everything from this is a bit of a blur. I know my midwife got there around 6-6:30 p.m. and checked me. The nurse had told her what was going on.. when I'd have a contraction, my cervix would get paper thin and go from a 6 to an 8, but as soon as the contraction stopped, it would go back and thicken up. So Nancy checked and confirmed that it was doing that. We did a few practice pushes for a while and determined that Ansleigh was stuck on my pelvis. They tried pushing from the outside where her head was at to get it to pop under it but it wasn't working at all. Finally we decided that maybe turning over onto my knees and holding the back of the bed may help. I did this and had about 9 REALLY good contractions. At this point I was in excruciating pain! The contractions were coming back to back over and over, without letting up once.

Finally with the 5th contraction, I felt her head turn and slide under my pubic bone! After that she was coming!! And I made sure to let whoever in the room know lol! During this whole ordeal, I broke out in a sweat from head to toe, lost all of the popsicle and jello and heard Chris telling the nurses that he's never going to make me mad because I was literally screaming and growling.. getting mad that it was taking so long! lol! Finally I yeld "She's coming!!!" and Nancy said "She would definitely know!" I think maybe someone was going to check or something.. not really sure. I had no idea who was behind me at this point.. there could have been 50 people in the room but I wouldn't have noticed.

They told me I needed to turn over, and that hurt SO bad to do! I grabbed Chris' neck and he said I put him into a choke hold! LOL! Once I was turned back over, Ansleigh was making her arrival and FAST! I got to use the mirror and that helped SO much! Very motivating! I believe I had at least 4-5 contractions and then she was out!

Enjoying some skin on skin with my baby girl!

Very proud daddy!!

Only about 14 hrs. old :)

The proudest big brother ever! This was right after we got home :)

I'm very happy with my birth experience. I brought in a birth plan and the nurses and my midwife followed it wonderfully! I asked for no IV, instant skin on skin with baby, cut the cord after it stopped pulsating, push when I felt the contractions, no episiotomy unless medically necessary, no pain meds unless I asked, and for baby girl to room in with us unless we asked for her to go to the nursery. The nurses and staff at the hospital were wonderful! Everyone was so nice and helpful and made the whole experience great :)

I can't believe she's already a week old! 


  1. In fact no matter if someone doesn't be aware of afterward its up to other people that they will help, so here it takes place.

    Take a look at my web site; payday loan online

  2. Simply wish to say your article is as surprising.
    The clarity in your post is simply nice and i can assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Well with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to
    keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the rewarding

    Also visit my web blog ::

  3. Everyone loves what you guys tend to be up
    too. This kind of clever work and reporting! Keep up the awesome works guys I've you guys to our blogroll.

    Here is my blog ::